Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Raoul the Boston Fern Moves In

Today someone offered a free Boston fern on the employee email list.  I ignored my proven history of failure with houseplants and decided the office needed a Boston fern as much as we need a printer and a copier.  So he is now sitting on an unused desk waiting for a new pot and a pedestal.  Cheerful S. has offered the pedestal, I will supply the pot.  And he has been gifted with the name Raoul.
Lest anyone wonder why I've named a Boston fern Raoul, let me destroy all expectations: there is no good story behind Raoul's name, it just seemed like a good idea at the time and is now irrevocable.  I'm sure all names seem like a good idea when they are bestowed.  Cheerful S. suggested Boston Rob after the over-exposed Survivor contestant, but it was too late.  He is Raoul.  And he is a big, beautiful, healthy looking plant.  Between us, we might keep him going for a while, Cheerful S. and I.
This is a warning to all you people who give away pets and plants and other items to strangers:  you never know who this person really is and to what nefarious purpose they might intend your donation.  Perhaps the cat will be the main attraction at a cat vs. hippo fight staged by steampunk activists who want monkey bars to be outlawed.  Or your Boston fern will be used to start a blog about all the things I can't induce anyone in real life to care about.


Raoul at the office.
 
 
Added note:  Before I left on my break, I asked Cheerful S. to take a picture of Raoul.  Apparently she and Raoul (and other co-workers) had a party in my absence.  Subtitles and pictures courtesy of Cheerful S.


 
Raoul busy making copies for D.
 
 
Raoul deserves a coffee break.

 
Raoul filing for R.

 
Raoul having to pick up the slack for D.

 
Raoul holds important staff meeting.

 
Raoul looking good at work.
 
 
Office romance.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment